Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Higher Ground

I just got off the phone with my friend, Vern. His basement and garage flooded in the recent East Coast Deluge... He said, "I think it's God's way of nicely telling me to get rid of things..." He said he felt pretty good because he didn't loose anything he couldn't part with... but there was water in his home office... I'm looking around MY home office right now - and thinking, "How completely awful that would be..."

I usually don't mind the rain - but until yesterday it had been raining for days and days and days. I'm still amazed that now, even as it stopped, the waters in some parts of my area continued to rise.

If you saw Good Morning America today - or The Today show, you saw some of the areas within a few miles of my house. I live about a hundred feet from a canal and two miles from a lake - all very swollen. I live just a little higher up. There are benefits to living on a hill.

Here are a few photos taken by the local paper (Betty E. Cauler, photographer) - just to show you a few kinda scary things:






How sad it must be - because this town (Easton, PA) got hit by an equally devastating flood last year.

Tonight - the sky is clear - and the winds are blowing - evaporating all that water...

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    My old work place was flooded in DC and they called me at 8:30AM that morning to tell me.

    Like I care.

    *sigh*

    But as it turned out it was more to gloat with me at how unprepared the management team was for the problem.

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I'm glad you and your stuff's okay.

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Writer said…

    I'm glad you're okay, too, Kell. Gosh, it looks a little like New Orleans all over again. It also serves as a reminder of how little control we actually have in this world.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home