Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Glamourous Existence in Warmer Weather

I used to try to vacate every February. You know - get out of town - be somewhere warm, but not sunny enough to char my whiter-than-pale-near-albino-complexion... This year, I haven't been able to go anywhere - Buying a house makes me fully believe there's no money left in any corner of my universe... So I kind of jumped at the chance to take a business trip to North Carolina.

Home: 8 Degrees
NC: 60 Degrees
Kelly: Happy to be outside. Really happy.

I was also glad to skip town, because my friend Leigh lives here. I met her while we both worked for a TV station in PA. She's a meteorologist. She confided to me that she never handed out her business cards in Pennsylvania - because whoever designed them spelled her title "Meterologist" or something like that. Being the polite woman she is - she decided to simply not say anything about it.

Anyway, for a weather girl, she hated the cold, nutty climate of Eastern PA, and has since returned to her North-Carolina-born-and-bred-NC-State-Tarheel-alum existence here.

The thing that never changed from her job in PA to NC - is the weird phenomenon that makes people believe that local TV personalities are as famous as (gasp) Keanu Reeves.

Whenever Leigh and I went out, we were constantly interrupted by "Hey, aren't you the weather girl?" "Hey! You're on TV! I can't believe it's you!" and my favorite, "I just have to tell you that you have the nicest hands."

So last night, I was so excited to have dinner with her - we hadn't seen each other in ages... She arrived at dinner a little before I did. She was standing in the restaurant lobby with a man I assumed worked for the restaurant. He greeted me warmly, told me his name, shook my hand and said, "We've been waiting for you!!! Have a wonderful dinner!"

Now, I know those in the south are a lot friendlier than us Northerners... but he was really nice... Then it dawned on me - after he walked away, I looked at Leigh, "Fan?" She nodded as we headed to our table.

So nothing has changed. Leigh is every bit as popular as she was in PA (I used to tease her - She worked the morning news - and I'd remind her of how many men woke up to her each day...) I used to make a fuss about those who interrupted us when we were out... Why should she be the only famous one? Didn't anyone realize how famous I was?

As I'm sure you'll remember - for awhile, I did local Voiceover work... Yes. I was the one, who when you turned on the weather channel, would gleefully exclaim, "Kal Kan! Two for one - with Coupon!" I'd say to Leigh, "How come no one ever comes up to me and says, "Hey - aren't you the voice of Pooch and Kitty?"

For awhile, I'd be introduced that way - No one seemed to care, and I remain internationally anonymous.

So I'll take you back to the restaurant - where Leigh wasn't the least bit anonymous - Our waiter approached the table, "Hey - Don't you do the weather on TV?" (NOTE: The only difference between Leigh and her CBS-Sister, Katie Couric is the fact that no one seems to know her name. The difference is clear: To Leigh: "Hey, aren't you that nameless face on TV?" vs To Katie: "Hey, has anyone ever told you that you look a lot like Katie Couric?") Leigh admitted that indeed - she worked on-air. I thought she looked just a little bit sad that someone couldn't just leave her to her menu.

The waiter began his sililoquy: "I know I shouldn't bother you but I've been wanting to get into production... I mean that's what I went to school for... Well, I really have a degree in theater and film - but I would love to break into production. I've done a few local independent films, but the trouble is getting funding. I've actually tried to get funding for a few projects, but it's really hard around here, so I thought if I could just get my foot in the door somewhere, it'd be great. So I know I shouldn't bother you when you and your friend are trying to have dinner, but I was wondering if you'd give me a little advice."

I tried to be helpful, bail her out, and answer this guy's burning question: "Don't work in TV News." I stated.

"What?"

"Listen, if you're a creative type - and it seems you are, then the last thing you want to be doing is hefting a video camera in the rain with the hopes to glorify some convicted murderer on tape."

"But I'm willing to do anything."

"Are you really?" I asked (I know. I hate dashing the hopes of America's Youth - but as evidenced that the world of production is *so*very*glamourous*, I felt it was my responsibility to steer him in a clearer direction.)

"Well, yeah." He then turned to Leigh, "So can you help me?"

At this point, Leigh gave him the name of the hiring manager at her station. I grinned.

"Would you guys mind if I sent you some of the projects I've worked on?"

"Sure." I handed him a card - in hopes it would encourage him to retrieve my dinner. Miraculously, it did.

Leigh and I were then free at last - to discuss houses, bad dates, and Leigh's chihuahua, Skippy John.

There's a funny thing that happens to local TV personalities. Because they're known in the community, people assume they're *reeeeeeely famous*. I've come to realize that Television is just as much of a job - sometimes a grind, sometimes sort of fun - sometimes meaningful - but always hard work - as any other job (including video production, and even making a movie).

I guarantee you that the waiter - as well as the greeter went home that night - and told *everyone* that they'd met the meteorologist on TV... and that she looked every bit as lovely in person... and that she was really nice to them... And that she had really great hands... Just as great as Katie Couric's...

1 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelly, If you are still in NC and anywhere close to Durham, drop me a line. I'd love to meet you in person. Teenage heroes at yahoo dot com.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home