Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

There's No Business Like Snow Business


Years ago, my friend Jane sent me a Polaroid of a sculpture her husband had just finished… It was a replica of “The Kiss” – and it was built out of snow. When I find the Polaroid, I’ll post it for you… It was pretty cool.


It made me think of all the amazing artists who have created temporary art – most notably – Andy Goldsworthy. He makes art that falls down, gets washed away, blown away, rotted out, and melted. He makes chains of leaves, pinned together with thorns that he releases down streams. He sculpts hollow snowballs. He makes arches from ice… He’s well worth looking up. His artwork completely changed the way I feel about art – because it gave me a new appreciation of the way things change – and the beauty of the moment.

All this to say, I have a large yard… On which, two nights ago, someone built a large snowman. I first noticed him while driving to work yesterday morning. He was somewhat shocking, actually...

The fact that the snowman was built on my yard isn’t the problem. The fact that they stuck an 8-foot stick into the middle of the bottom snowball (no pun intended… Please. If I’d said “lowest snow boulder” y’all would have made a bigger deal out of it.) The snowman, other than that – was about what you'd expect.

I drove away – thinking many things. Among them, “I wonder if anyone believes that I had embellished the snowman?” “I wonder if we’ll see him in the newspaper, arrested for exposing himself in my yard…” But mostly - I wish I’d had a camera with me – because it would have made this story a lot funnier.

By the time I drove home that evening, someone who had an anti-snowman (or anti-large-stick) bias, nearly obliterated all traces. What remained was the largest snowball sans snow-manhood. I know I shouldn’t laugh… but admit it. It’s kind of amusing, in that bathroom humor sort of way.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I saw a newpaper article about a snow fenstival in Norway or somewhere like that. The people there created art from ice and they dyed it and everything. It was so cool. There are sand castle contests here and it's crazy what people do with sand. I'll take pictures at the next one by my house and email them to you.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just saw a picture of that very sculpture. He built it right after the minister and his family moved in next door. They must have wondered..... JD

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Blue Eyes said…

    I feel as if though I've missed so much! Congrats on buying your house - that's really awesome!

    And congrats on your new yard decoration....?!?!

    It sort of reminds me of Las Fallas in Spain - basically it's a festival to welcome the spring. Artists spend the entire year making these huge creations, and then on the very last night of the festival... they burn them and start all over again. Crazy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home