Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Toto! We're Back in Kansas

Did you know that Kansas has actual land still considered frontier territory by the definitions set by the US Government? These are among the many things I learned while visiting my friends John and Karen this week. (we're old camp friends - I have to say - that the friends I've had the longest - are friends I made during my stint working at summer camp... Maybe I'll blog about that sometime). Anyway, Kansas kind of surprised me. I was expecting fell-off-the-floor-flatness, but, at least in the Eastern part of the state, it was quite hilly. In fact, it reminded me in many ways of the town I grew up in the Poconos. Except for the fields of cows, buffalo herds, small flock of llamas.

(NOTE: I had a long discussion with J&K's son about animal groupings. He informed me, for example, that a pile of frogs was known as an ARMY of FROGS. We also discovered MURDERS of CROWS, but were wondering what a group of Llamas were called. For the purpose of this post, I choose 'flock,' although 'compendium,' or 'gaggle' would also suit our purpose.)

Anyway, I was long overdue for a visit to The Little Apple: Manhattan, Kansas. On the first day, we went down to the lake - seen above. They were draining some of it to fill the Kansas River - so the boats wouldn't bottom out. It was rare that the water levels were so low - so we took some time to explore. Here's their youngest son digging in the dirt for burried treasure (he found farm implements, and a lot of broken glass).

The other brother suddenly hit the dirt - and made an angel. What's great is that Karen didn't even yell at him for getting dirty. I hope he appreciates how cool his mother is. I predict that when these boys are in high school, all their friends will want to hang out at their house because J&K are the coolest parents.

When all this exploring made us hungry, we headed out to Famous Dave's - because we thought it would be fun to get Dave (who stayed home) a FD t-shirt. Here's the evidence. I should have photographed the ginormous garbage-can-lid-sized plate of food they brought us, but I was too busy eating.


When we came home, the family dog kept licking my watch. Makes me wonder if I got barbecue sauce stuck in there... (I'm sorry - That was so gross!)

So we had a good time - Except for one thing: I got a massage from Lizzy Borden's distant relative - he hacked up the knots in my back with such precision and skill that I'm still sore... He promised me there would be a payoff - but so far, it hurts to lean back on chairs...

Karen and John and I are already plotting our next get together - and even though there's no place like home - someday I'll click my heels together and go back to Kansas.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Michael Patrick Leahy said…

    Kell,

    Thanks for posting a comment on my blog... How did you run across me ?

    As for Manhattan, Kansas... would that make you a K-State Wildcat ?

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kell--isn't it amazing how terrible a massage can feel? I go for the deep tissue variety and actually have to take ibuprofen to ward off the pain for the whole next day.

    I enjoyed this post. It brought a smile to my face, especially about the barbeque in your watch.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Kell said…

    No, MPL, I'm not a K-State Wildcat - but I will tell you, that Manhattan, Kansas is decidedly royal purple... It's everywhere.

    To be honest, I'm still wondering why Joe Paterno hasn't retired yet.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Michael Patrick Leahy said…

    Kell,

    I imagine it's hard to live in PA and not follow Penn State, the Eagles, or the Steelers.

    Tell me more about your writing.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Trixie said…

    I think I need to head to Kansas some day. It is a much overlooked state. Also I liked the wildcat/stuff toy post. I think my parents plan to continue working well into their 80s simply for the health benefits. Well and because they don't want to eat cat food.

    I love a really deep massage but here's the catch, a good deep massage should never leave you bruised. You can be sore (need to drink tons of water before and after to prevent this as well do some physical activity for an hour after the massage) but never bruised. If you see bruises - that's bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home