Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Why oh "Y?"

Has anyone notyced that "Y" is the new "I?" I've met lately a pyle of people who spell theyr names with "Y's" where "I's" once reigned... Alice is now Alyce... Melissa - Melyssa... Even my friend Kevin got in on the action. For awhile, I noticed he'd sygn his letters to me, "Kevyn" I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to ask:

Kelly: Kev, what's wyth the "Y?"

Kevyn: I don't know - I'm embarassed now!"

My name has always been spelled with a "Y" - yet somehow I don't thynk it's made me any cooler.

What gyves?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelli! I am not veri happi to tell you that for a little while in middle school I signed my name Jayne. A very safe way to express a little independence I guess. Enjoy this sunni day! Fondli, Jane

     
  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Blue Eyes said…

    "Y" is the new "i". I also hate when people use "X"'s instead of "s's... seriously... thanx is not an appropriate way to express your gratitude.

    My Razr and I are going to go do some swanky things now.

    - Kym

     
  • At 6:56 PM, Blogger Sarabeth said…

    I remember wishing people would use a Y appropriately in names.

    Jenny became Jenni
    Cindy became Cindi
    Brandy became Brandi

    Helloooooooooo--the letter I has two sounds in the English language--a long I as in ice cream and a short I as in igloo. If were were following pronunciation of the vowels correctly the above names would be:
    Jenne
    Cinde
    Brande

    I'm taking off my old fogey hat now.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    Arggg..I agree!

    But I admit that I am guilty of the shorthand version of "Thank You" (thx)and the Xmas rather than Christmas. On the otherhand, I would never consider replacing a "Y" with an "I" or vice versa.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home