Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Crashing in My Dreams

Last night, I wrecked yet another car while sleeping... Not at the wheel - in my dreams.

For the past several years, whenever I'm feeling out of control, I have a dream about crashing a car... Now, there are varying degrees of this, in order of worst to best. They seem to indicate the level of control I'm feeling in real life.

1) I lose control while driving a vehicle that isn't mine: For example, in one dream, I was moving a huge dump truck (for reasons I don't remember). I was driving down a slight incline - and many of my friends were lining the road. My old landlord (who apparently owned the truck) was watching... I kept slamming the brakes into the floorboard, but nothing helped. The truck picked up speed. I distinctly remember starring at my friends one at a time. Where I never specifically asked for help, I told the landlord I couldn't stop. He merely watched me coast by and did nothing.

2) I lose control driving a vehicle I used to own: For example, one night, I dreamt (dreamed? What IS the past tense of dream?) I was behind the wheel of my old Nissan Sentra. I was driving down a gravelly, snake of a road that descended a mountain. The car skidded on gravel, and my car (backwards) - careened off the road and down into a steep ravine. I remember the car landing. I was unhurt, but frantic about getting the car back on the road.

3) I lose control driving my current vehicle - the one I have right now in real life: These are the best of the crash dreams... because it seems to indicate that I'm at least feeling like I am responsible for what's going on around me in real life, even though the situation that summoned the dream is difficult... I know life's getting better if I can lose control of the car - and in the end, regain traction and position on the road.
____

These dreams came en masse years ago, sometime before I left a crappy job... - I crashed a vehicle every night for months. When I told a friend about it, she looked at me and advised, "Kelly - get out of the car!"

Eventually, I quit my job, and have been crash free for several years... (My dream insurance rates have returned nearly to the rates I had pre-crash dreams.)

Until last night.

(I'd explain what situation I'm feeling out of control with, but it's a work thing - and it's nasty...)

In the dream, I was packing from a video shoot - I was having trouble getting all of my equipment back. The location was a hotel terrace, post party. Everytime I organized my equipment, some of it would be moved by hotel employees. When I straightened out one pile, I 'd return to find my staff goofing off, and another pile would be gone.

Eventually I loaded the SUV (not mine - not even a vehicle of someone I know). I began to back out of the parking spot, but the brakes weren't working - the car started to move forward and hit a parking median. I was angry... and in my haste, I slammed the car into reverse, and crashed into a Jeep.

That just sucked - in both the dream, and my waking life.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger Blue Eyes said…

    When I get stressed at work, I grind my teeth at night. I wake up and my jaw hurts. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having your car accident dream. Hang in there!

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    I have a similar stress dream where I am in a car but can't drive it. I wreck things. I can't get it in gear. I can't steer. I am in such a panic because I should be able to drive and control it but I just can't! Another weird similiarity!

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Kelly - get out of the car!" Perfect advice. That's a friend to hold on to.

    My out-of-control vehicle of choice in a dream is a wheelchair on a hill in San Francisco.

    Your vehicle has an engine. Hmm. More power, more potential for harm.

    Take care. I'm pulling for you.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    When I'm stressed out, I have a dream that everyone I know is dressed to the nines and having a cocktail party in my bedroom while I lay there is my pajamas (or underwear as the case may be) and try to get to sleep. The incessant chattering and clanking of glasses keeps me awake. I wake up feeling not at all rested. It's interesting the ways our body finds to tell us it's had enough.


    P.S. The past tense of dream is dreamed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home