Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Let's Take a Vote

Sometimes our legal system enrages me... For example, I cannot believe Zacharias Moussaoui is trying to pull the mental card. OF COURSE he has mental instabilities. How else could he do what he's done? How could anyone of sound mind commit heinous crimes? Yes, he's got mental issues - but I'm not exactly sure how that makes him any less responsible...

I don't want to sound loony. I will say it should add to the judge's ability to successfully sentence - but I'm not convinced mental instability should commute a sentence...

The other aspect of that trial - or more specifically - the news coverage of the trial - are the photos of his abusive father and his sisters' interviews "oh, he had a rough childhood..." Where I understand how a parent can adversely affect his child... (I've seen it in my own family to a certain extent) - and genetics aren't always kind - but isn't there some point where people must claim personal responsibility for their actions? If not, why aren't more parents on trial for their children's crimes? It's clearly their fault, right?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger Sarabeth said…

    Rise above the muck--that should be the goal of everyone who is sentient.

    Unless you were specifically brain-washed by an authority figure (like the kid who terrorized the DC area a few years ago) you are completely responsible for your actions.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    For me, the thing is; Even if a person is too crazy to be considered "responsible" for their crimes, they're still crazy enough to kill people. I think insanity is even more grounds for removing these people from society because they're not reasonable enough to censor their actions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home