Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Job References

Almost four years ago, I left a job that made me miserable. I had nowhere to be promoted to, the GM ("John") and I never saw eye-to-eye on much, and I felt I was never in a position to make much of a difference. So I left.

Without another job.

Looking back, if I had to do it again, I'd plan more carefully, but I never regretted leaving.

The other night, I was at a function where I ran into an old client ("Jeff") of mine from that job. The client was a great one. I really enjoyed working with him - and our projects were successful. So successful that he continues to do business with my former company.

Jeff: So, Kelly, Can I ask you what your impressions are of "John?"

Kelly: Off the record?

Jeff: Of course, of course

Kelly: John's really not my flavor.

Jeff: Well, he's looking to join (a committee within Jeff's company), and I've found him very smart, but completely undependable. He's disorganized, and doesn't seem to manage his time well at all. This committee comes with a pretty hefty commitment - there's a lot of footwork, and I'm not sure he's up to it.

Kelly: Jeff, that's exactly what I think. I think he's a nice, well-meaning man, but if it were my committee, I wouldn't want him - but that being said, I have no problem with him as a human being. I'll tell you what, though. If you really think he'll fit in, ask him what he's going to give up in order to serve on your committee.

I walked away that evening thinking, "How ironic. I just gave my former boss a job reference..." I don't think it was a very positive job reference, but then again, I didn't do that much of the talking, did I? I can't help thinking how great it was, however, to be confirmed. Maybe I wasn't just another self-serving, disgruntled employee... Maybe I'm just a good judge of character!

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    Hummmm well said.

    Let's hope no one ever asks me to give a reference on my last boss.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home