Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Disappointed, Sure... Surprised - No.

Is anyone really surprised that yet another politician has cheated on his wife? When I heard about John Edwards this week, was I disappointed? Sure. Surprised? Certainly not... and I'm not sure why members of the press seem to be.

I know I'm going to sound cynical and out of line - but let's stop for a moment, and think about the typical politician skill set -and therefore, what conclusions we can draw about about personality.

1) Politicians need to be persuasive. They need to manipulate situations, words, and even history to a particular point of view.
2) Politicians are, in many cases, charismatic. The more appealing the politician (in terms of either looks, conversation, ability to connect), the better their chances of being elected
3) Politicians are typically surrounded by people a lot... and therefore must be able to adjust quickly to different situations.
4) Politicians must be able to inspire people to part with cash.
5) Politicians know that it's important for people to be seen with them.

In short, there's a lot of ego - and intelligence that surrounds how to control other people's minds... I hate to say this - because I have hope that it's not an across the board statement - but they're control freaks... Control freaks like to get what they want - and like their ego stroked...

So - the fact that egos get stroked outside of marital boundaries isn't surprising... So John Edwards? You may be a nice man, you may be a generous man, you may even be an intelligent man - I have to tell you, I have really low expectations of your personal integrity... And I know it's wrong of me - but you're a politician. And really? I completely expect this behavior from you. I don't even know that the press should make such a big deal about it - because reporters have a similar ego to yours...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can't leave out the sex appeal of power... I think that has something to do with politicians getting into trouble for infedelity instead of, say, newscasters or other charasmatic people.

    I do not find this type of person appealing and I have a hard time understanding the women that would persue such a fellow. --chris f

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I love that you went to the astrologers house to check it out. Too fuuny! That sounds like something my sister and I would do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home