Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

10 Things I Hate About Laundromats

I know I over-rant about laundry. It's just that it's the bane of my existence, and try as I might, I can never "Tom Sawyer" anyone into doing it for me. I have found, however, a good solution to my problem.

First - a little background. I don't have a washer/dryer in my apartment. When I moved in, someone left an apartment sized washer & dryer, but I refused to use them. The dryer didn't vent outside of the house. The washer, which would only fit maybe two pairs of socks at a time, had to be wheeled across the kitchen and hooked up to the sink.

Since everyone knows I have a magnetic field in my body that causes all machinery to malfunction, you will understand my visions of a hose disconnecting mid-spin cycle, spraying water all over my Zoloft Cookies... So to make a long story short, I got rid of them.

Which meant, I was stuck with the laundromat.

The only thing I dislike more than doing laundry is the laundromat:

1) I have to go there to do laundry
2) I've met people in the laundormat who are so horrible to their children it makes me want to vomit all over them.
3) I've met people at the laundromat who are so very very odiferous, that I felt I would have to re-wash my clothes.
4) Last week, I met a woman at the laundromat doing her bed linens... She brought her husband with her, and throughout my entire miserable washing existence that night, she badgered her husband like this:
"Greg. Did you bring in the detergent?" (Greg is a quiet guy)
"Do you hear me?"
"Greg - don't step on that... You hear me?"
"Greg - Hand me that... Now. You hear me?"
"Hey - don't forget to put the soap in... Don't miss it. It has to go in now..."
"Greg - You made me miss putting the soap in - You hear me? Now I've wasted 8$. I'll have to wash these again. (At this point, Greg got up and poured soap in the washer, mid suds cycle...)
"Greg - the soap won't rinse out. Now I have to wash them again to get the soap out... I wasted 8$. You hear me?
5) I see kids running amok at the laundromat... Don't these kids have parents? Can't those parents put another quarter in the pay-television set so their kids don't run around so much?
6) Socks mysteriously disappear at laundromats.
7) Being a forgetful woman, I've broken lovely pins at the laundromat. I know this is not the fault of anyone but myself - but I really liked that pin.
8) The laundromat is not staffed conveniently to my schedule. If I happen to forget something in a dryer (because 9) six minutes/quarter is not enough to dry clothes) I have to get up really really early to retrieve it. Again, forgetting is a problem I have - and gggrrrrrrr.
10) Did I mention that I have to do laundry there? Oh, how I love clean clothes but dislike doing wash.

I get all this pleasure for about 9$ in quarters. I did, however, find a place in town that, for a mere 13$ will wash, dry, fold and hang all my laundry.

I think 4$ to save me two hours of misery is worth it, don't you?

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You could do laundry at our house Kel, instead of paying quarters you can paint. ; )

    -Dan

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Blue Eyes said…

    When you factor in the cost of detergent, dryer sheets, and your time, it's probably a better value to pay someone else to do it :-)

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I hate doing laundry too. I am always so anxious to get out of the laundromat that I just throw my clothes in the basket and go home without folding them. Then, when I get home I'm too tired from staying up late to fold them so I just leave them like that and go to bed. Hence, I am in a perpetual state of living out of a laundry basket and ironing my clothes every day.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Never had any trouble doing laundry and never minded it at all. But lately it's an awful chore that I'd much rather not do. Mainly because of the damn laundromat. They have decently priced washers that I know would work for me, but they are never available and I know that the very second one comes available, I will get stomped to a bloody pulp trying to use it. People that go to the laundromat are mean, horrible to their kids, and it's funny that my 2 year old is better behaved at the laundry than their 10 year old is. I share your hatred of the laundromat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home