Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Pope Elopes!

A round table discussion once centered around possible explosive headlines... the winner? Pope Elopes! Of course. I also liked one I read in the Readers' Digest once: "Diaper Thief Leaves 150 Babies with No Place To Go..." Yes. This is why I read the R.D.... But on to real life explosive issues

My personal explosive headline?

Chips Get A Bad Reception

Saturday's wedding posed one of the most embarassing moments of my wedding photography life: The bride had placed me at a table with some of her guests. Some brides do this. It's fine with me. However, no bride ever did what follows:

Everyone at the table is happily eating filet mignon, twice baked potatoes, and veggies. When the server brought my plate, it consisted of a chicken sandwich, cup of mayonaise, pickle spear and (gasp) POTATO CHIPS. I asked for something else. I couldn't fathom eating with my hands when everyone around me was cutting beef and potato. The server assured me that the family of the couple had ordered me a chicken sandwich. I fumed. I probably turned very red.

I tried to be game to this debacle, by removing the chicken from the sandwich, discarding the roll - hiding the mayo, and ignoring the chips. I took a bite of the very dry and barely warm chicken.... Then I got up and left the table. I couldn't face those strangers ever, ever again.

When I told Dave about it later that night, he was so annoyed he could barely speak. "I hate cheap, Kelly..."

Last night I called my friend the caterer. He said, "Well, I would never do that - and where I understand why it may have been done (cited $35 dollar difference in plate costs), it should never, under any circumstances, be done the way it was done... That was very low-class of them." I felt a little better.

Normally, I don't eat a lot at weddings anyway... I don't expect filet, even - but I certainly didn't expect the meal I'd have tossed at Wendy's. Yow.

Thankfully, the family's guests were so pleasant, I was able to get through the night... But if any brides read this, May I offer some advice? If you're going to feed the help on the cheap, put us at a separate table from the guests - or even in another room.... Don't embarass those you've hired to make you look good.

Sheesh.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Trixie said…

    Ass Beagle
    Rat Bastard
    Bride-zilla

    Arggggg !

    I hate thoughtless people. It isn't so much the cheapness as the lack of thought. Pish.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Alex Ludd said…

    Is that a zit on the bride's nose? Funny, she didn't notice it there that morning. Hmm.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should have included a couple shots of your cheap dinner plate in the wedding proofs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home