Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Baby Showers

I think I've stumbled upon the pinnacle of wisdom.

Because of my schedule lately, I've missed one baby shower, and was only able to attend the first hour of another. In the first instance, I dropped a gift off later... In the second case, I dropped a gift off, won a shower game (and therefore a 5$ Blockbuster Gift Card), chatted with some friends, hugged the mom, and left.

It was great. I was still able to support both moms-to-be... without the tedium of showers... I know, I know, I sound distinctly un-female, but I really don't enjoy showers. I tolerate party games fairly well, yet dislike guessing who's name is stuck to my back. I dislike collecting clothespins for every two-syllable word someone utters. I don't enjoy walking around having people sign my paper under the category that most suits them...

During the gift unwrapping, I must admit that I think baby clothes are all adorable -but the task tends to drag on and on. And on. Guys never have to go to showers!

I do, however, love giving gifts. I think it's great. I loved finding the perfect kate spade leather brag book for my friend Nancy. Nancy waited years and years and years to get pregnant. She deserves nothing less than kate spade. I loved giving Mimi a hand-crochetted blanket and certificate for baby photos. Giving presents is one of life's best priviledges... It marks friendships - it expresses creativity - it creates community.

I'm not being a party poop - like I said, I'm all for the celebration and support of my friends' milestones... I just happen to dislike certain female traditions - like showers.

Maybe I need to throw a shower where everyone gets a gift - for no reason.... but I have to say - I've truly enjoyed simply delivering the gift and cutting out. Is that so wrong?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to come to your shower where everybody gets something - at my age there are no more excuses for showers. Sigh... I don't remember my sign on name so I will choose anonymous and just tell you it's me! Jane!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    I knew I liked you for a reason. I feel exactly the same way. I love to give presents - absolutely the right gift and card - but I hate showers and shower games. I bought two presents yesterday and one the day before for no reason. Just because my friends deserve something...WaWa says I am to thoughtful and generous but this is who I am and it balances all the selfish, short-tempered things which I do in life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home