Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Friday, December 18, 2009

I'm Back - Trying, at Least


I thought it might be fun to return to blogging - now that I've likely lost all my readership (all four of you). Maybe it's time to tell my family I've been doing this since 2004, huh?

Well, the newly minted Kelly, woman of leisure, has been doing a lot lately - One, I've already decorated my house for Christmas. All the needles are falling off my tree, Dave and I have broken a TON of glass ornaments (you know - the ones that I can't help buying because they're glass and sooooo pretty) - and I've already baked cookies that I fear will go stale before Christmas (so we're eating them). Besides, as you can see from the photo, my cookies - made solely by Dave and me - look like they were made by my infant niece.

I'm READY.

Also, Lately, I've discovered where socks go to die... I didn't figure this out until I cleaned my sock drawer - and threw about six dozen unmatched socks away. As soon as the trash went out, I discovered about 7 socks behind the dryer, three in my closet, under shoes, one firmly lodged in a boot I hadn't worn for a year, another dozen behind a chair, several static-clinging to clothes I hadn't worn in awhile, and three on that chair in my bedroom... The one we never sit on... because we keep clothes there...

Oh how I wish I was one of those "CLEAN" people. Think of all the money I'd save...

To catch you all up on the rest of my life... My nephew is returning today from Basic Training. He's spent the fall and early winter at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, learning to be an MP. I'm so proud of him - I can't even tell you. For those of you who remember, he's had a tough time - offspring of a ridiculous former brother-in-law, brother of Jason... and the list goes on. He's made me downright teary lately. For instance, he enlisted in this time of war because he wanted to pay for college on his own terms. He wants to be a cop - so he can help children who had the misforune of growing up with people like my ridiculous former brother-in-law.

A couple of years ago, he discovered martial arts - and I think it's saved his life. It was the first time I've ever seen him be passionate about anything (save making his brother, TJ's life miserable). After a belt test, we stood in the parking lot, discussing how cool the belt test was, and the sensei walked out of the building... "Hey, Ian! You did great tonight! I'm really proud of you!"

I can't describe what changed about Ian's face - but it sort of widened and melted at the same time. He looked right at the sensei's eyes and said, "Thank you sir!"

I'm sure I hadn't seen him look another male right in the eye - EVER. He was so shy... Anyway, I don't know if I'm communicating properly, but it made me downright weepy. Perhaps you just had to be there.

Anyway, he's now forging his life on his own terms. He's the apple of my father's veteran eye (go Air Force!) - and is coming home today for Christmas... I can't wait.

He's not the only arrival from the Midwest... Other friends are coming to hang out - Their parents live close to me, so they're crashing at my place (I'll let you draw your own conclusions there)... So we're throwing some parties with old friends - and current family. More on that later.

SO - Merry Christmas to you - Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, whatever it is you celebrate (Sorry - I'm just not into wishing you a generic Happy Holiday - it's so gauche...)

MORE LATER! WITH PHOTOS!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous DF said…

    Congratulations on returning to blogging, finding some socks-- and witnessing the development of a young man. Sounds like everything is going peachy, which I'd take any day rather than regular blogging. Writing a lot tends to mean one is suffering. When you're happy, you live life, I've found.

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Blogger Sarabeth said…

    Hi, Kell!

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger MLight said…

    Glad to see you blogging again, and glad to read that things are going well!

    (I think being clean is over-rated. You might save money, but think of how much time you'd lose.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home