Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

07-07-07


I went to college in Grand Rapids, Michigan. There, I met a family who took in helpless out-of-state college students. We became fast friends... To the point that when their daughter's grandparents couldn't make it to Grandparents' day at her school, she asked if I would go: Do not. I repeat: Do NOT laugh at the 14 thousand pounds of hair I sported back then... (1991) - or the glasses that seemed to cover my entire face - like safety goggles...
Anyway, since then, Cara and her mom, Jane, and I have visited fairly frequently. Here they are at my house... Cara was all snotty and 16... You know how it is:
Once, Cara even let me dye her hair - I was trying to do red streaks - but I didn't get the foils to the roots - so it was really ugly and I felt badly - and for Cara's sake, I will not show you - but I will show you this:
Ok - so you can understand why there were tears in my eyes - when a couple of weeks ago, my little Cara-Beara got married. Here are the photos. We had a good time:
Cara (while I'm sticking my camera between her arm and the mirror): Kelly, get out of here!
Kelly (showing Cara the digi-file): Shut up. You do your job - Let me do mine.
Cara (approving the photo): Oh!This is Justin, Cara's brother. He got married to this lovely woman around the same time I married this very dashing man: Ok - so here's the lovely couple. Gareth, the groom, is from New Zealand - and I'm told hates to be called a Kiwi - so I'll refrain. Note his custom jacket - dubbed "the Formal Hoodie" by me - designed by a friend of his - who will soon be outfitting all of Hollywood's elite.Now - Note the nice rings... At one point, during photography, Gareth excuses himself to the men's room - only to emerge complely abashed... "Dave," he said, "Can I see you in the Men's room?" I looked quizically at my husband, who without question - followed Gareth. We thought it was odd, but Cara and I kept shooting: What happed? Gareth accidentally dropped his lovely titanium ring into the trash... And Dave gallantly fished it out. Incidentally, this photo was taken pre-incident!!!!This photo was taken after - Ha ha! Seriously - I don't know. I don't really want to think about it - truth be told:
I will admit - I'm a self-indulgent wedding photographer - so I took the couple here: To this sculpture at Calvin College, designed by my friend and former photography professor, Robin Jensen. Who wouldn't want their photo taken here? ReallY?Here's the happy mother of the groom:
More photos - Pre-trash... SORRY! I can't get it out of my head! I'm dying here!!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, Kelly - what a great post and lovely pictures. Thanks for being such an important part of our life! Your photographs are stunning. JD

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    Oh my *deep sigh* will that be me someday? When my godchildren marry? When the children of my special friends marry? Yesterday was a day when I realized how fast Mango Salsa's daughter has grown. I've known MS since college and her daughter since birth. And now I see this almost-pre-teen with gangly legs, wise eyes, and little girl fondness for paperdolls...but she isn't little! She's so on the cusp. *sigh*

    Your work is so special. Why couldn't you have been our photographer? :) And Dave looks good too.

     
  • At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really appreciated that photo of you with the huge glasses. I had some almost as big, or maybe bigger. Maybe I'll digitize a photo me with my glasses and send it to you. We were all there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home