Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Like Jacob Marley, It Might Not Be True, But It Certainly Is What Happened...

I had an interesting conversation with a woman who is conducting some research on local ghosts. She asked if I had any stories.

Honestly, the only encounter I’ve ever had was in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I lived in an 1890’s French-style home, and became friends with my upstairs neighbor. One evening, we sat in his living room, talking about music… (Or whatever we talked about back then) – In the corner of my eye, I detected movement. I was a little startle by it, so I quickly turned my head toward the windowsill… Just in time to see…. absolutely nothing.

My neighbor, equally startled at my sudden movement said, “WHAT?!!” He looked toward the window.

I was now pretty embarrassed. The neighbor and I didn’t know each other very well – and I wasn’t sure how to explain that I thought I’d seen something – but it was nothing.

“Nothing… I just thought I saw something,” I stammered.

“It was a cat, wasn’t it?”

My jaw dropped. What I had seen was indeed, a cat, jumping from the windowsill to the floor.

“H-----h----how did you know that?”

“I see him in here all the time.”

When I tell this story, I always toss out a qualifier… “I’m not saying that my life has been changed because someone confirmed what I saw… I’m just telling you that I saw a ghost-cat jump from the windowsill… I'm just telling you what happened.”

Back in the room with the ghost-researcher, I asked if she’d ever heard stories about animals as ghosts. “Oh sure,” she said, “Horses, dogs, cats… You name it.”

She then mentioned that she believed HER house was haunted. She said she had heard some strange noises… and found out that the man who had built her house years ago had loved it very much, and had died from a tragic accident at a young-ish age. She felt he was pleased with her – because she was taking good care of the house – and making renovations.

Weeks went by. I stopped at her house one morning. She gave me a tour of the house, and told me about her plans to remodel the kitchen. She has great taste in decor - and I could tell her work kind of oozed into her home.On her mantel, for example, sat a Jacob Marley figurine. Considering her research, it was kind of cute. In the middle of our conversation, I asked about her ghost. “Oh, I wish he’d show up a little more. As it stands, he only really shows up when I have guests. He apparently doesn’t like company…” We talked for a few minutes, when out of the blue, something in the next room crashed to the floor.

She investigated. A holiday candle light had fallen to the floor with a crash.

I’m not saying I believe the ghost made an appearance that morning… I’m just telling you what happened.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I see stuff like that too but I figure it's angels. JD

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I believe in ghosts and I'm very interested in them. I worked in health care for years and A LOT of interesting things happen when you're hanging out with elderly people. I think it's cool though, not scary. I've never seen an animal. Makes me wonder what "unfinished business" a cat could have. :)

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My grandfather used to tell me and my brother there was a ghost in the loft of his barn. He'd tell us to walk up the stairs and we might see it. Then as we turned our backs to him he pulled on some twine tied around an old paint can on a table. It crashed to the floor and I never ran so fast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home