Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Friday, December 29, 2006

I Am A Terrible Host

I am a terrible host.

Last night, I was expecting the arrival of my friend Cara, driving in from Michigan. She was bringing her adorable fiancé to meet me.

I expected them around 10. The actual drive between Grand Rapids and me is about 12 hours… When you add food/gas/facility stops, you add another hour or two.

So I was able to get all of the last minute house cleaning done (ok. Let me rephrase that. I did enough house cleaning so my guests wouldn’t think I was a total pig… I have a home office that is always in incredible disarray. Example, I cleaned it out one day. The next day, I started collecting stuff for a yard sale. Then it was a disaster of boxes for a few weeks… After that, Christmas decoration boxes… It’s endless. In my mind, I’m the neatest neat freak on the planet. In reality, I’m a busy girl with limited space and time… sigh)

Anyway, I can’t tell you how much better I felt vacuuming… Immediately following, I blew up an air mattress… which filled the whole room. Again. It looked cluttered. Can’t win – but I can rest in the knowledge that underneath the air mattress lies a vacuumed rug.

Ok. With the house “clean,” I waited for guests. I sat on the couch, and turned the TV on. It got chilly, I pulled a blanket over me.

The next thing I recall is my friend Cara standing over me on the couch, “KELLY!!! We’re here!!!!”

Apparently, they’d been there for a while… long enough to bang on my front door… call Michigan… walk around my kitchen… and discuss the measures to make me awake.

In fact, they only realized I was under the blanket when I started snoring. I hate it, but I can't deny it. I'm a chronic snor-er... At least they knew I hadn't forgotten them! The question begs - Who falls asleep while waiting for guests? Who falls asleep instead of devouring every moment of “Grays Anatomy?”

I’m such a bad host. I'll have to make it up to them.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gray's was a rerun so it makes perfect sense that you would fall asleep. I actually have experienced what a great host you are, so ix-nay on the errible-tay. Besides you are a busy busy girl so when you curl up on the couch with a blanket, sleep happens. Have a fun visit! Jane

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    LOL. That's so funny. I fell asleep last night on accident with the heater still on. I don't leave it on over night because it's really old and I'm worried I'll get carbon monoxide poisoning. I woke up this morinign and my house was all cozy. I heard the heater click on and thanked the Lord that I'm not dead right now.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Blue Eyes said…

    Hysterical. That's totally something I would do. My ability to fall asleep under any circumstances is legendary.

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    You and WaWa! Actually WaWa waits until 20 minutes before they arrive and then gets in the car and goes to buy some soda or something. Thus leaving me (exhausted and filthy from cleaning) to wait on the friends alone but afraid to hop in the shower because they might leave if I don't open the door. Then he takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R. coming home with that lone bottle of soda and they have been here for hours with only me to talk too. This happens only with HIS FRIENDS not with my friends - people who I would love some 1:1 time with. Very weird. It use to awkward and now it is a running joke with his friends.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home