Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Things that Astounded Me

I'm cleaning my home office today - in fact, I've cleaned out the two closets that frightened me the most - you know what I'm talking about. I'm exhausted - but it's done.

In my cleaning, I found a huge pile of old journals - The kinds I needed before I had a blog (ha) - and found a list of things I'd written that astounded me when I was younger. They're kind of funny - so I'm copying them here:

1) When I was young, I was astounded to learn that dinosaurs weren't the fossilized remains that were covered with the dirt known to us now as the Appalachian Mountains (or hills, if you're from Colorado) - I really thought they all died, and since no one was around to bury them, just laid there, decayed, and eventually got covered up with rocks, dirt, and plant matter.

When I was in second grade, a friend took me on my first trip to NY City, where we visited the Museum of Natural History. When I saw how *small* the dinosaurs were compared to how large I *thought* they were, I was actually kind of disappointed.

2) I was astounded to learn that Bob-Tail was the name of the horse. It never dawned on me that Bob-Tail was a name I thought it was some sort of harness that held the bells on...

3) When I was in Kindergarten, it was astonishing to me that birthdays marked the number of years you'd been alive. I told my best kindergarten friends, Steven and Theo, but they didn't believe me.

4) I think I posted a story awhile back about how astounded I was at BIRTH. When my father and mother told the 6-year old Kelly "The puppies are coming out soon," I didn't think they came from my dog... I learned quickly that puppies didn't come out from under beds or dressers... And I was a little grossed out.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    We cleaned out our office too! How freaky is that?

    Results:

    2 HUGE black garbage bags full of broken or nasty CD cases, lots of broken CDs and cut up software disks, and tons of old papers shredded.

    1 regular garbage bag of old maps, magazines, and professional business literature (journals, etc).

    2 boxes of textbooks and outdated software manuals.

    Removal of old PC and printer.

    Cleaned out what appeared to be three years worth of gifts received but never used. Put some to use and donated some.

    Organized office supplies and got rid of paper which was all bent and crinkled.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Tiecen said…

    I know this will seem silly but I'm not getting the dinosaur one.... They are the remains of animals that no one burried.... Am I missing something?

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Kell said…

    I was five. I thought Dinosaurs were realllllly big. Now, I drive down the Delaware River along the Appalachians and just kind of giggle.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home