Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Monday, October 10, 2005

No Autographs, Please

Yesterday, Dave and I attended a wedding reception of one of his old friends. The guy is a contractor/architecht in a very well-to-do community outside of Philadelphia. He and his new wife are in want of nothing, so as a gift, I sent a donation to a local charity in their name.

I wrote out the details in the card. As I signed my name - I stopped short. The question: Do I sign Dave's name or not?

Where I don't want to make it sound like I have a rule for everything, signing for other people should be limited to married couples, or those with power-of-attorney, executive secretaries, payroll companies, or kids forging mom's signature to get out of gym class. I remember recieving a card from a friend of mine. It signed "Love, Theresa and Jeff" - but Jeff didn't sign it. Theresa did. The two had been together for less than a year. It was just a little pretentious for me... That's why I wouldn't sign Dave's name.

I called him. "I got the card, but you have to sign it. We haven't been together long enough for me to sign your name." Dave just laughed - a lot, actually. He asked me, "Who else thinks about this stuff besides you?!!"

I don't know. But I made him sign his own name.

The reception was fun - we played some music, ate and wished the bride and groom the best...

Are there any etiquitte rules for signatures? Just wondering if anyone knows the official rules.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Trixie said…

    This is an excellent question. I sign WaWa's name all the time but don't remember when this habit started.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home