Kelly In Catty

This blog is Kell's attempt to keep in touch with friends far away who complain that I don't e-mail nearly enough.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

What Happens when Nothing Happens

Ok. It’s January. I’m busy at work – the band isn’t all that busy (Fran is in Kuala Lampur, working, eating, and doing crunches), and at best, the most I’ve done at home is deal with the mouse running around in my kitchen (He’s unfortunately not running around any more. I don’t advocate killing animals – But I DO advocate mice staying out of my kitchen. I know PETA is coming after me in their leather high tops with rubber soles from plants in the rainforest… And I’m sorry. But mice do not belong in my kitchen, so the poor little rodent soul had to go.)

So I’ll tell you what I’m reading and watching – and a funny thing a 6-year old said to me last night.

Reading: Walking The Bible. Bruce Feiler is taking me on his journey to understand the sites visited in the first five books of the Bible (and come to terms with all things spiritual). Currently, I’m visiting Shechem with Abraham, (so my secretary will have to forward all my calls!)

I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book, but I find myself pouring over ancient and modern maps while reading. This book will take some time to get through.

Watching: Just sent Layer Cake back to Netflix. The movie required my full attention – and the subtitles. It’s full of characters with really thick accents. The film was about a drug trafficker wanting to “retire.” He unfortunately got caught in a complicated web of intrigue and a surprise ending. The moral, of course, is be smarter than the film’s hero (Daniel Craig) by finding some other way to make loads and loads of money, do your own accounting, and keep your nose clean.

On its way from Netflix: Rivers and Tides Andy Goldsworthy documentary. If you haven’t seen Andy’s work, he creates temporal art using only what he finds in nature. He must be a tremendously patient and thoughtful artist, although perhaps not the world's most brilliant conversationalist. However, if we pair him up with GABE, he'd probably prove lovely company. Read on:

What Gabe said: Gabe is an articulate 6-year old. His Dad, Aunt, and sister came to visit me last night. Before we went for dinner, Gabe wanted to know if I had any clay (I’m not sure what brought this on – but that’s what he wanted). It just so happens that one of my clients makes, among other craft items, modeling compound. And of course, I had some. However, what Gabe asked was, “Do you have any Clay Nation?” His aunt clarified, “Claymation. He calls the whole thing claynation.” It was good to know, I was about to go dig up my old VHS copies of Wallace & Gromit. After dinner, we claynationed elephants, flowers, and coffee pads (coasters). It was fun. We also watched HR Pufinstuf - because even Gabe's dad wasn't old enough to remember 70's kids' TV. I think everyone should be subjected to Witchiepoo at some point in their lives.

(Jane & Cara, you will just *LOVE* Gabe the next time you come to visit me!!!)

What I’m supposed to be finding THREE HOURS to do: Go see King Kong. That’s a big commitment, isn’t it?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:00 AM, Blogger Sarabeth said…

    My husband has tried for three weeks to get me to see King Kong. I just can't say, "Okay, let's go." I don't want to be in a theater for something that long that isn't LOTR.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Trixie said…

    I couldn't do it either. *sigh*

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heart Gabe.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home